Thursday, July 06, 2006

After tonight's unfortunate 9th inning, I find myself with very little to say on the finale of the series with the Red Sox. I do not find myself feeling humbled after my earlier statements, what with the fact that the lowly D-Rays did manage to take 3 of 4 from the mighty Red Sox. Perhaps the Red Sox might have a bit more difficulty with the teams they face from here on out than they did with the NL East.

Two things caught my eye in my reading before bed, which is what prompted this unprecedented third post in one day.

First, was this gem from the NY Times. It has absolutely nothing to do with the Red Sox, baseball or sports in general. But I thought it was worth reading. If I were the husband described in this piece, I would be more than a little upset that this made it into the "paper of record," but that's just me. As a disclaimer, I should note that I am single, so I have no idea what it takes to make a marriage work. I do know from a series of failed interpersonal relationships what makes one go tragically wrong, and sometimes spectacularly wrong. I just think this guy is a loser. Also I wonder how this particular piece fits into the "all the news that's fit to print" mentality of the Grey Lady.

Then there's the Letters to the Editor page of today's Globe. I really don't know how this particular letter, from some tool in Wellesley made the cut to be published by a major metropolitan newspaper. So the guy saw a monarch butterfly on a growth of milkweed in Yawkey Station. And his communion with the natural world set a nice counterpoint to the harsh, apathetic crowd of Red Sox fans who were ignorant of a mystery of life unfolding in their midst. Ordinarily, I am in favor of any avenue to criticize Red Sox Nation, but the world is a big a complex place, not every one has the time to look at butterflies. Nor is it some red badge of courage to point out that you have the sensibilities to appreciate both baseball and a butterfly.

No comments: