Thursday, July 12, 2007

Well, the Red Sox are back in business, and it looks like they're going to beat the Blue Jays tonight. But I have bigger problems on my mind at the moment. For reasons involving personal business, I had to drive to Scarsdale, NY. Unfortunately, in order to get to New York from Boston, one must drive through Connecticut. Connecticut is like Disneyland (the happiest place on Earth) in the same way that JD Drew's stats are comparable with A Rod's.

Among the many problems with the great state of Connecticut is the fact that it's spelled differently than it sounds. I understand that it come from a Native American word which I am sure means 9,000 square mile waste of space. But why do we pronounce it Conneticut? Why doesn't every one say Connecticut? Maybe there is an inherent logic to the process that only residents of Connecticut understand. But Massachusetts is pronounced in the same manner in which it is spelled, and if it's good enough for Massachusetts, you better believe that it's too good for CT.

Then there is the fact that every single highway in Connecticut looks like Patton's Third Army rolled over it during the winter campaign to relieve Bastonge. I think I saw a minivan swallowed up by a pothole on I-95 outside of New Haven. It kind of makes you wonder why there is always road construction in Connecticut yet they never have a decent road. Yeah, the Big Dig turned out to be a big mess but if they tried that type of project in a city in Connecticut, can you honestly tell me that they would have anything left of said city save for a big sinkhole? Come to think of it, maybe that's what happened to Hartford.

Also, come to think of it, can any one explain to me how Connecticut got to be the Constitution State? My American history might be a little rusty, but as far as I know Delaware was the first state to ratify the US Constitution. The USS Constitution was built in Boston. Yeah, there was a compromise at the Constitutional Convention associated with the Connecticut delegation. But do you really want to steal Delaware's thunder for your state license plate caption? Even the Spirit of
American is better and more germane and it's a beat slogan.

But the worst thing about Connecticut is that 90% of the people should either be locked up or deported for the good of the Republic. For the love of God, just because I have Massachusetts plates and I happen to pass you on the highway, that doesn't make it a personal challenge. Of course I think I'm better than you. I am better than you. I'm from Massachusetts and you're from Connecticut. Hell, homeless people in the slums of Minsk are better than most Connecticut people. I say this with apologies to the handful of friends I have in the great state of Connecticut. You, of course, are the exception that proves the rule.

No comments: